When I had seen this image in my newspaper, I was deeply distrubed. Even till this date, whenever I remember the incident, everything just stop within me.
Peeping out of windows.
As if asking,
Office hours had JUST begun
But how could life be over?
Suddenly, definitely, precisely
And clinically for everyone?
As if asking
We were just balancing
The morning coffee in one hand,
And files in another,
But how could life be over?
A man made lightening struck,
From the sky
To plunge everything
And everyone in darkness.
As if asking
Would we melt together
With concrete and mortar?
As if asking
Was it our destiny
To be one with steel girdles?
And not with mother earth?
What had we done
In our lives,
To not to deserve a few feet
Below the earth?
But to evaporate
With the vapor of morning coffee?
Ratan Tata (Image Source: Business News)
What Ratan Tata did for the Mumbai victims of 26/11…. a every Indian should know. i AM COPY PASTING THIS POST FROM Small Strokes… Why main stream media is not interested in publishing this? I leave it to figure it out yourself.
Ratan Tata is the chairman of Indian Hotels who own the Taj Mahal Hotel Mumbai, which was the target of the terrorists last year . Hotel President a 5 star property also belongs to Indian Hotels.
The following is really touching.
- All category of employees including those who had completed even 1 day as casuals were treated on duty during the time the hotel was closed.
- Relief and assistance to all those who were injured and killed
- The relief and assistance was extended to all those who died at the railway station, surroundings including the “Pav- Bha ji” vendor and the pan shop owners.
- During the time the hotel was closed, the salaries were sent by money order.
- A psychiatric cell was established in collaboration with Tata Institute of Social Sciences to counsel those who needed such help.
- The thoughts and anxieties going on people’s mind was constantly tracked and where needed psychological help provided.
- Employee outreach centers were opened where all help, food, water, sanitation, first aid and counseling was provided. 1600 employees were covered by this facility.
- Every employee was assigned to one mentor and it was that person’s responsibility to act as a “single window” clearance for any help that the person required.
- Ratan Tata personally visited the families of all the 80 employees who in some manner – either through injury or getting killed – were affected.
- The dependents of the employees were flown from outside Mumbai to Mumbai and taken care off in terms of ensuring mental assurance and peace. They were all accommodated in Hotel President for 3 weeks.
- Ratan Tata himself asked the families and dependents – as to what they wanted him to do.
- In a record time of 20 days, a new trust was created by the Tatas for the purpose of relief of employees.
- What is unique is that even the other people, the railway employees, the police staff, the pedestrians who had nothing to do with Tatas were covered by compensation. Each one of them was provided subsistence allowance of Rs. 10K per month for all these people for 6 months.
- A 4 year old granddaughter of a vendor got 4 bullets in her and only one was removed in the Government hospital. She was taken to Bombay hospital and several lacs were spent by the Tatas on her to fully recover her.
- New hand carts were provided to several vendors who lost their carts.
- Tata will take responsibility of life education of 46 children of the victims of the terror.
- This was the most trying period in the life of the organisation. Senior managers including Ratan Tata were visiting funeral to funeral over the 3 days that were most horrible.
- The settlement for every deceased member ranged from Rs. 36 to 85 lacs [One lakh rupees translates to approx 2200 US $ ] in addition to the following benefits:
a. Full last salary for life for the family and dependents;
b. Complete responsibility of education of children and dependents – anywhere in the world.
c. Full Medical facility for the whole family and dependents for rest of their life.
d. All loans and advances were waived off – irrespective of the amount.
e. Counselor for life for each person
1. How was such passion created among the employees? How and why did they behave the way they did?
2. The organisation is clear that it is not something that someone can take credit for. It is not some training and development that created such behaviour. If someone suggests that – everyone laughs
3. It has to do with the DNA of the organisation, with the way Tata culture exists and above all with the situation that prevailed that time. The organisation has always been telling that customers and guests are #1 priority
4. The hotel business was started by Jamshedji Tata when he was insulted in one of the British hotels and not allowed to stay there.
5. He created several institutions which later became icons of progress, culture and modernity. IISc is one such institute. He was told by the rulers that time that he can acquire land for IISc to the extent he could fence the same. He could afford fencing only 400 acres. He also made a condition that the TATA name should not be used (ironical in a country where half the roads and buildings bear Gandhi tag although they may not even have seen them)
6. When the HR function hesitatingly made a very rich proposal to Ratan – he said – do you think we are doing enough?
7. The whole approach was that the organisation would spend several hundred crore in re-building the property – why not spend equally on the employees who gave their life?
This was not covered by any news channel. The channels are busy showing cast politics, Sania Mirza’s wedding, Shahrukh Khan’s wedding. But these stories need to be told to the nation.
When I first heard the news at BBC, my first reaction was extremely selfish. thank God! Our cricket team had canceled the Pakistan Tour!!!! Our Sachin Tendulkar and team members are safe. But soon my human element took over and I begin to find out the damage. But it was a huge relief that Sri Lankan cricket team is safe after this terror attack by some freedom fighters. But policemen were killed in this “incident.” Who cares for them? they are just numbers who died with their boots on. Sometimes ago it was considered an honor to die with your boots on. Now too many are dying with their boots on. So dying with your boots on have lost its sheen.
Zaheer Abbas at “Times Now” TV channel is saying I am not sure if this is a terrorist attack. Wow! All a commoner like me can say is that thank you for the insight! Thank you for enlightening us. We will always be greatful to you.
At least five members of the Sri Lankan cricket team have been injured in a shooting incident in the Pakistani city of Lahore, a Sri Lankan minister says.
The incident happened when unidentified gunmen fired on a convoy carrying Sri Lankan cricketers.
Pakistani officials said about 12 gunmen were involved and grenades and rocket launchers were recovered from the scene.
At least five policemen have been killed in the attack, police say.
Sri Lanka Sports Minister Gamini Lokuge told the BBC that early reports indicated that the injuries to five players and a coach were minor.
So Sri Lankan Cricket team is safe and we can thank god for that. Now media circus will start about this terror attack on Sri Lankan cricket team. We will have sound bytes about the “incident.” Speculations will be rife whether it was LTTE or some other freedom fighters group who chose to spot Sri Lankan Cricket team so easily for its good deed. So welcome to the media circus and sickular games. The show must go on!
I just realized that Dehradoon, Bangalore, Kozhikode and countless other towns are suburbs of Mumbai and each and every member of NSG, Army, Navy, ATS, Air Force and each and every MARCOS are Marathi and Marathi only. Actually they all reported to this lady Sharmila Thackeray, wife of Raj Thackeray and registered their hometown in her register she regularly maintains. Till now I have not realized that Sharmila Thackeray has access to such information. She knows the state and hometown of each and every soldier and commandos. In what authority and capacity Raj Thackeray’s wife Sharmila Thackeray has such information, we don’t know. Ms. Thackeray has sent an SMS TO Amitabh Bachchan.
Amitabh Bachchan who usually expresses his thoughts and feelings through his blogs, sent me an SMS on Monday afternoon. Visibly angry and frustrated, the “angry young man” of Indian cinema forwarded an SMS that was sent to him by Sharmila Thackeray, wife of Raj Thackeray.
It read, “All those who had lost their lives while saving this city are Marathis. MNS workers are busy donating blood, helping police for rescue operations and lifting bodies.”
I sincerely hope that terrorists don’t get hold of the register Raj Thackeray’s wife maintains. I think now Raj Thackeray’s wife should meet Ambassadors of different countries and convince them that they are wasting their time in Mumbai searching for their nationals. Only Marathis had died in this terror attacks. I am wondering whether attackers too were Marathis in this all Marathi drama?
What Amitabh has to say in all this?
“Can they stoop any lower! After cowering underground while citizens of all nationalities were dying and the others being rescued by the NSG, the navy and the army…this is what they have to say!”
Yes, Mr. Bachchan, they will stoop to conquerer! In this process they will always set a new “low” for themselves.
Futrure Hope of India, Prince of Congress, Rahul Gandhi: He is our only hope, Congressmen told us repeatedly. Read here, what he was doing.
The Prince partied hard, till 5 in the morning, on Sunday at the ‘sangeet’ for the forthcoming wedding of Samir Sharma, his childhood friend. They were at a sprawling farmhouse at Radhey Mohan Chowk, the haven of people who lead charmed lives beyond Chhatarpur.
The Prince seemed to be completely out of sync with the mood of the nation post-26/11. Since Wednesday night, officials have been cancelling parties they were meant to host and even restaurants called off special events.
Of course chiiling out with pals is above all. and he is above those petty officials and restaurant owners! See the press people’s ball. They are questioning the sacred Madam’s progeny!! They should be hanged for this.
R.R. Patil: Jewel in the Crown: When a 20 something boy from Bihar was in a BEST bus with a country made pistol Katta, this brave person R.R. Patil has roared, “Goli ka zawab goli se diya jayega (bullet for bullet).” When Mumbai was seized by terrorists what pearls of wisdom came out from this Ex home minister of Maharashtra,R.R. Patil,
“Itne bade shahar me ekhada hadsa ho jata hai” (An untoward incident like this can happen in such a big city like Mumbai). ” We are proud of you Mr. Patil.
We meed more and more people like you in this country.
Kerala CM Achuthanandan: He broke in into the house of Major Sandeep Unnikrishanan to offer his condolences. What a way to empathize with a father. Later on what he said about this whole incident?
“If it had not been (Major) Sandeep’s house, not even a dog would have glanced that way,” he said when turned away at the door by Unnikrishnan’s father.
Here is today’s update:
A day after Kerala Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan insulted the family of martyred NSG Commando Sandeep Unnikrishnan, he refused to apologise for the denigrating remark.
“No, no,” is all he said when journalists confronted him with the question.
We can certainly learn manners from this gentleman.
Another comerde of CPI Atul Anzan said on Zee News: “Mr. Unnikrishanan has lost his mental balance.”
Of course Mr. Unnikrishanan was working in ISRO. I hope our leaders know the full form of ISRO. The mentally imbalanced scientists keep on putting India on world technology map. Recently these mentally imbalanced persons were in news for Chandrayaan-1. Does India needs such mentally imbalanced people? This organization ISRO should be dismantled and with this money, poverty should be eradicated, which is the topmost agenda of CPI.
See if you want to be the champion of a cause don’t try to look good. Your cause will suffer. Applying make up is a crime if you are carrying out a march. You don’t represent India. That what BJP’s Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi thinks.
“Some women wearing lipstick and powder have taken to streets in Mumbai and are abusing politicians spreading dissatisfaction against democracy. This is what terrorists are doing in Jammu and Kashmir.”
He said “in difficult times like these” some groups have decided to “wage a war against democracy” rather than waging war against the menace of terror.
What if you are a news reader in a broadcast media? You are reading false news!
I read this today. I wonder what would be and current jihadis will say about this.
A Muslim graveyard has refused to bury nine gunmen who terrorized Mumbai over three days last week, leaving at least 172 people dead and wreaking havoc at some of its most famous landmarks.
The men are not true followers of the Islamic faith, according to the influential Muslim Jama Masjid Trust, which runs the 7.5-acre (three-hectare) Badakabrastan graveyard in downtown Mumbai.
“People who committed this heinous crime cannot be called Muslim,” said Hanif Nalkhande, a trustee. “Islam does not permit this sort of barbaric crime.”
There are seven other Muslim graveyards in Mumbai, but the Jama Masjid’s influence means none of the others are likely to accept the bodies.
I read this at blogbharti. We follow lifestyles of westerners and Americans when it suits us.We can copy the following from them too. Its not that difficult.
For the protectors of Mumbai / Bombay
With respect and gratitude.
Our brave police, armed forces and firefighters have been putting their lives at risk to bring our city back to normal. Many have died.
We often criticise them vociferously; we probably will do so again. And we should. Later.
But now is a good time to show our gratitude and respect for what they’ve done since the night of the 26th.
Go over to your neighbourhood police station, fire brigade or army post.
Light a candle or a diya and leave it there.
Or leave a card, or a note of appreciation.
Or a flower.
Shake the hand of any police, army or fire brigade personnel on the spot, say thank you, and explain why you’re doing this.
Do this whenever you can, wherever you can. You don’t have to be in Bombay. This could have happened anywhere in the world.
(People in other countries and Indians abroad: you may want to do this at your nearest Indian embassy or consulate.)
You might have read this on net or as sms. I find this sms in TOI.
"Where is Raj Thackery and his `brave’ sena? Tell him that 200 NSG commandos have been sent to save Mumbai and fight terrorists so that he can sleep peacefully. The Indian army has Indians and not marathis, UPites or biharis alone," said a message with sender requesting to forward to all Indians so that it finally reaches the coward bully Raj Thackeray.
I wonder where are they? Holed up somewhere to save their skins? When their own Mumbai was held captive by the terrorists. Why didn’t they and their workers came out in open to save their "beloved" city and protect their reputation? Shouldn’t they make a claim that it must only be protected by marathi manushs and not by bhaiyaas from Bihar and U.P? Or better only marathi police officials should be sent here, Your Mumbai doesn’t need rest of the Indians? First Marathas should be out there? Or their bravery comes out only against Bachchans and Bhaiyyas? Where are Mr. little boy Thackeray who proclaimed probably last month proudly "Mumbai mere baap ki hai" Why his Baap has abandoned his children and is hiding in his hole?
I think we at least the educated one stops viewing ourselves as regional entities and see the larger picture. I was reading at a blog that singing Hindi songs was considered blasphemy. Just imagine those psychopath parents and teachers who were so blinded by regional glory that they have stopped exhibiting even the basic human traits. They don’t hesitate to fill the clean mind with hatred (Well few movies, songs and books can be vulgar or cheap but it is true for every language). If you can teach small children hatred for a language, songs, movies and people, you are not fit to shoulder the responsibility parenthood brings. If your language, culture and food are REALLY so great then why this insecurity? Why feel threatened by other people, languages, food and culture? Greatness never inspire insecurity. Greatness is inclusive not…
Today I was just planning to go to Karol Bagh to purchase a bicycle. But somehow my plan got altered and I returned back from Friends colony only. While I was returning home, the driver received a call from his anxious wife if he is still in Delhi ? He broke the news to me that there were serial bomb blasts in New Delhi. Till now 18 are reported killed, 70 injured in Delhi serial blasts. I got the following news about Delhi blasts from The Hindu;
New Delhi (PTI): At least 18 people were killed and 70 injured in five serial blasts in a span of 45 minutes when terrorists targeted three crowded market areas in the heart of the Capital this evening.
Bringing back memories of the pre-Diwali terror strike in Sarojini market in 2005 that left 68 dead, the blasts rocked Connaught place, about a km from Parliament, Ghaffar market in Karol Bagh in Central Delhi and the M Block market in posh Greater Kailash in South Delhi.
It seems that serial bomb blasts are fast becoming usual news unless someone’s near and dear ones are involved. We will hear the usual statements from our PPM (Puppet Prime Minister) that these acts will not be tolerated. Terrorists will not be spared and blah! blah! blah! till some other city face the same bomb blasts and the game will start again. I was just curious why terrorists can’t fight against illness, illiteracy, poverty, hunger or for a clean environment? Would the effort require will be more if they try to find a cure against AIDS? I know its a foolish romantic thinking on my part.